I was wondering here, how many weblogs is optimal for learner? I have one weblog for learning purposes, one weblog for personal purposes. For each course that I teach myself, I have also separate weblogs. But when I started learning in my master program in 2006, I had several weblogs for learning purposes. I can’t remember why it was so, but I had at least three weblogs and now they are all closed. I closed them because I was ashamed of my learning process. Now I feel sad about it, it would have been important to save all the development process in the same place through my master thesis journey and Phd journey.
This week I had lecture with mainly the first year IT-students and they were supposed the create weblog for themselves where to present all the individual assignments. One of them already had weblog, actually five of them, different weblog for each course that he was attending. I asked why do you have five different weblogs, isn’t it confusing? He said that it helps to organize things, he knows better where is the needed information, learning materials, links and feedback from facilitator. It suits better for him if he does not have to look from one weblog years back to find one blogpost. I suggested to use categories, different category to different course, but he did not agree. Well, fine.
I also had seminar with the second year master students of educational technology. They are entering to practice now and should document their practice process in their weblogs. They have used in several different courses weblogs and therefore I assumed they all have it. And again I discovered that many of them are using different weblogs for different courses and for the practice, they also tend to create new one.
Why is it so? Am I only facilitator who encourages them to use the same weblog throughout the studies? It is not just a suggestion, but I have tried it out myself and years later you do not have enough organization and systematic approach to your development..
My third year of PhD studies started. I remember when I was the first year student and we had some seminar with the third year Phd students. They seemed so bright and clever to me. Now I should seem so bright and clever to someone from the first course, but this is rather impossible 🙂
Anyway, extremely busy fall-semester has started and I should make some plans. First I will focus on my plans for the summer:
– My first scientific article for the journal – European Journal of Teacher Education – was accepted last week. So, I started it in November 2009, presented it to EJTE this March and now it is accpeted. Nice!
– PLE chapter – no news. I am starting to lose hope that it will be published at all.
– I did not started preparing any new articles, but we redesigned the article about induction year and LKB model and presented it to journal again, now waiting for the result
– I contributed quite lot to the IntelLEO – to D5.2, D4.2 and started preparing the testing phase.
– I prepared for my courses that i will teach this autumn
– I started analyzing epoabi data
And this autumn I:
– plan to pass courses like Philosophy of Education (4 ECTS), Learning and Teaching Higher Education (6 ECTS), Practice of Research is Social Sciences (6 ECTS). After passing these courses, my formal studies in TLU are completed, only presentation in seminar once a year should be done. Excellent.
– will be teaching course for bachelor students as co-teacher about personal learning environment and e-portfolio. But I have also with master students of educational technology practice to conduct. My responsibility is to design and the course, coordinate the practice at workplace, read and provide feedback to the reflection of each week, evaluate the assignments and conduct the practice seminar.
– will conduct data collection phase of my studies. October-November 20 teachers will use the IntelLEO technologies in the accreditation context and that trial will give me hopefully needed data
– in spring I hope to prepare to articles based on the collected data
– epoabi data analysis and preparation of development should be started this autumn
I hope this is enough, seems like too much anyway.